Thursday, September 22, 2011

So Long...


Let me introduce to you a group of fabulous people who have become family to me. This is our Mentoring Group. We meet every Wednesday evening to dig deeper into our knowledge of the bible.


When I dug deeper into the true meaning of the word mentor this is what I found...


Mentor... a wise and trusted councelor or teacher, someone who guides another to greater success over a period of time.



So now let me introduce to you the Mentor of our group, Pastor Lanre. Pastor Lanre has been teaching the group for about 5 years. I have only had the priviledge of his knowledge for about 6 months. In those 6 months I have had my eyes open to so many truths that I didn't think I would learn this side of heaven. For the last couple of months we've known our time with them is limited. Today Pastor Lanre, his lovely wife Yinka and daughter Oyinka (I'm sure I spelled that wrong!) leave us and return to their home in Nigeria. We've had many farewells over the past couple of weeks that left most of us with damp tissues. As this amazing family leaves, they take a piece of my heart with them. I will never forget them or the impact they have made on my life. Pastor Lanre not only guided us to greater success. He has encouraged and at times challenged us to not remain where we are. Our life here is a journey. A journey that takes us to the highs and lows of life. But one of the lessons he leaves me with is to continually press forth up the mountain. From the bottom of the mountain everything looks huge and unattainable. Once your feet make their way toward the summit, things that may have tripped you on your ascent seem small in comparison from the height where you are now standing. Even the valleys only seem like a ripple when you are on top. I know he has touched each and every one of us in our group. And like a ripple the effect he had on us will carry on and on. We will truly miss their family but am blessed for having met them, even for a short while.

No comments: