Thursday, September 1, 2011

Horse Play



While we were away at our family reunion, of the several activities you could choose from we decided to give horseback riding a try. I am usually quite afraid of horses. Unlike a car, horses to me are a huge vehicle that I have no control over. I feel at their mercy as I hover way to high above the ground. Anyway, my kids love horses. So stiffling my phobia was the card I had to play. I will save the introductions of all my siblings to my next post.


Kieran hit it off with a couple of his cousins he hadn't seen in awhile, so he joined their family on the second ride of the day. So as I mounted my horse (whose name has totally slipped my mind) I asked our guide if there were enough of the "kiddy horses" for me to have one. She was lovely and assured me I had a friendly one! And she was right. Not only was my horse friendly, he was self-propelling. I could have sat in the saddle with the reins at my side because my horse was a gentleman and led the way. The ride was about an hour long. It was lovely to my surprise. At the summit of the hill we climbed was a beautiful meadow filled with wild flowers. I have a few sights that I have committed to my memory in the case that I would lose my sight, and this was one of them. I could have laid myself down in the midst of that meadow and lost track of the day. Evan I must say seems like a natural on the horse. He was near the lead of the pack and kept getting his horse to trot. Which in turn made the horses following to catch up. We laughed so much as we nearly bounced ourselves out of the saddle. So much fun!!

No comments: