Sunday, November 21, 2010

Waterfall Walk

Today after a leisurely start to the morning we decided to drive to the waterfall that is nestled deep in the rainforest. Kieran has met a new friend named William. He spent the previous night at our house, so he joined us for our walk. We attempted to drive to the waterfall last weekend but we ran out of time before we reached it. The drive is about an hour from our house. Once you leave the highway you drive about 45 minutes deep into the jungle.

At the beginning of the trail head we ran into a troop of gherka's. The gherka's are specialized soldiers and they were doing a week long training session in the jungle. Evan was so pleased to get his picture taken with them.

It had just finished raining as we arrived, so the jungle was damp and steamy. There is a lovely creek that follows you up the trail. The vegetation is so thick but quite beautiful. I tried very hard not to consume my thoughts with snakes and scary bugs, but to enjoyed the scenery around me.

The hike in was about 15 minutes. I was aware that the water was not crystal clear but more of a coffee colour. So I had decided ahead of time that I was not swimming. However, I don't think the water was dirty, but just murky from the fine sand beneath it. I had just last night watched the movie Eat, Pray, Love. So in the spirit of adventure I decided to forego all vanity and swim in my clothes. OK, I didn't go all the way in, but I did wade in all the way to my waist! The water was suprisingly cool. The boys loved it. They swam out to the waterfall and played around on the rope swing. We arrived back to our car just in time as the rains came again. It still amazes me the amount of water that can fall so quickly.

No comments: