Friday, August 31, 2012

Friends From Afar

Time to open the creaky door of my blog.  Only on a blog is it possible to go back in time.  And this is one day I'm happy to relive. 

My dear friend Elaine and her 2 boys came to the island for few days near the end of summer to visit family and lucky for me...friends.  No matter how long the span between our visits, we always pick up where we left off.  Today was no different.  When I found out she was coming my first thoughts were to plan something big and exciting.  But sometimes simplicity outshines splendor.  Elaine lives in the Interior, far from the ocean.  Knowing her love of the sea, we started out with a simple afternoon picnic.  All of our boys looked for the treasures of the sea while we caught up on life.  When Elaine and I met we were school girls whose lives crossed paths when our lockers were next to each other.  Now when we look at our lives, they look very different from when we shuffled our books from one class to the next.  I love that our friendship is the same whether we are walking the halls of highschool or digging for crabs on the beach. 

Our boys enjoyed getting to know each other.  After lunch all the boys boarded their scooters for a tour of Chemainus.  One of the highlights in Chemainus is the candy store.  It not only stocks anything sweet, but resembles and old fashioned candy store.  After we filled them with sweets we finished the tour of our little town and made our way back home.  It really was a perfect day to spend with one of my dear friends. 

No comments: