Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Bike, Play, Love...


A couple of years ago, I fell in love with the movie Eat, Pray, Love.  I loved the role Julia Roberts played, the freedom to find out who she really was.  I also loved the bike she rode in Bali and thought... I need one of those to explore the rural streets in Brunei.  But like most movies, it is just Hollywood.  While I didn't find the opportunity to explore Brunei on my bike, I am now exploring my hometown on 2 sets of wheels.  It has brought me right back to my childhood when you would ride until the streetlights came on. 

So this morning as Evan and I woke up, we decided to head out on a ride.  We whipped off our pajamas, threw on some clothes, and boarded our bikes ready to see the start of a beautiful morning.  We rode to an area a few minutes from our house.  While on our way down to the beach we stopped to eat some of the delicious blackberries that are growing wild at this time of the year.   

The beach was amazing this early in the morning.  We were able to sit by ourselves while listening to the seagulls calling to each other.  One of the things I love about the beach on this side of the world is the smell.  How I wish I could portray it in a photo.  There really is nothing that smells fresher than the ocean. 

While on our way home we came upon a family of deer.  I remember telling my Brunei friends that as often as you see monkeys in the garden that is how often you see deer here in Canada,  this photo is for you.  So this bike ride is proof that there are amazing things to see in your own backyard.  It has shown me that you just need to change your perspective and look closer to what you already have. You don't need to board a plane, plan a trip, or secretly wish you were somewhere else.  Just stop, look around and see the beauty that is near.  It is always here... you just need to look for it!
 

No comments: