Friday, November 11, 2011

Pusat Eshan


So like I was telling you I had a couple of projects on the go this week. Currently I am taking a course where we needed to organize an outreach event. I was lucky that my team consisted of my close friends Joanna and Yolande (as seen in the above jello race!) We initially thought we'd do something in the pediactric unit in the local hospital. After our initial meeting we were steered in the direction of Pusat Eshan. Pusat Eshan is a Downe's Syndrome school with about 27 children ranging from 3 to 20 years of age. So after some preparation as to the kinds of games the children would enjoy we ventured out on our "fun day." We had several different games in mind. I think the most popular were jello running race, bean bag toss, and face painting.


What I loved about our visit to the school was how welcomed we were. The kids were amazing and it is such a breath of fresh air at how quickly they bonded with us. They knew our names almost immediately and would grab our hands to play. The school had such a feeling of peace. We played with them, we shared a meal with them, and connected on such a level that is not always comparable with so called, "normal kids" My friend Amanda (bottom right) joined us as an extra pair of hands. She is so tender and soft spoken that the kids gravitated to her. The little girl she is holding was glued to her side most of the day. There are many needs that need to be filled in this school. The manager of the school, Mima has such vision and determination. She is truly to backbone to the success of the school. This is a woman who not only keeps up with the office work and the overall running of the school. She also does the maintenance and grounds keeping and the occasional furniture building. She truly is an inspiration to what a difference one person can make. Upon arrival our hopes were to bring a day of fun to these children. In the end, I think we were the ones who wore the biggest smiles. I will definately lend a hand in the near future.

No comments: