Sunday, February 20, 2011

Kuala Lumpur...Day Four & Five

Day four, all four of us were together at least for a short time. Saturday was the day I had all to myself to spend some money shopping. Rob took the boys to the KL tower and then they swam at the hotel. I headed to the Pavillion Mall. I shopped until I dropped! It was so fun to get some retail therapy as the shopping in Brunei is almost non-existant. At around 6pm I met up with Rob and the boys. After giving my feet a quick reprieve we took a taxi to Chinatown. Next to Chinatown is another area called Little India. There was a great market that we strolled around. Rob and the boys went for foot rubs, which was what I should have done. Instead, I felt the need to punish my sore feet a little longer and do some more shopping.

After Little India, we crossed back over into Chinatown. Chinatown is an area that has stall after stall of knockoff purses, clothes, shoes, and whatever you can think of. Evan bought a watch and Kieran got a wallet, belt, and sunglasses. Around 9pm we headed back to the Petrona Towers to see it lit up at night and then grab a quick dinner before falling into our beds!


Day Five was the day we were flying back home. Our flight didn't leave until 4pm so we were able to fit in some final sightseeing. As I said earlier we had tickets to ascend the Petrona towers. I have a huge fear of heights, but this was one place that I didn't want to miss. I had purchased tickets for all of us to go to the top of the towers. My thought initially was to go to the skybridge and let the boys go with Rob to the top. To my horror, this was not possible. I had to go all the way to the 86th floor as part of the tour. I had an initial panic moment and wanted to bolt, but I did manage the ascend! And I'm glad I did! The view although hazy was magnificent. Our first stop was the skybrige on floor 46 that links the two towers together. After about 15 minutes we took another elevator to the 86th floor. Scary to say the least knowing we are at the peak of this giant building. At the ground floor there is a machine that mimicks the sway of the building. I'm not sure if it was my nerves, but I swear I felt the sway and wanted immediately to return to the safety of ground floor. We stayed on the observation deck for about a half an hour and took in the sights. This is one of those moments I will never forget, but how relieved I felt when the elevator arrived safely on the bottom floor!

No comments: