Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Our first days in Brunei

Sorry for my absence, but it has been quite hectic getting settled! We arrived in Brunei on Friday at around 7pm. I was immediately glad that our new home was quite different from Hong Kong. Hong Kong was amazing to visit, but I am a small town girl! After an hour drive from the airport to our new home we finally arrived safe and sound. After finding the sheets in our boxes we fell into our beds exhausted. We soon learned that we have a very noisy pair of roosters (that have their day and nights mixed up) living next door!

On Saturday we were invited to a BBQ at a friend of Rob's from his work. It was great to meet the other wives and hear their survival strategies. The boys met a few friends and a good time was had by all.

On Sunday, we met up again with our new friends and headed to the Panaga Club. It is a country club that we get a membership to. It seems to be a meeting place for all the expats living here. The pool was beautiful. We enjoyed breakfast by the pool as we overlooked the beach. Feels like I'm on vacation!!

Monday was a day at the house. There was a hustle and bustle of work men, water deliveries, phone and internet installation etc...

Today Evan had an assessment at his new school. He should be starting by next week. On the way home from dropping him off, I was almost in an accident. I can assure you that even though I am not use to driving on the left hand side of the road I was not at fault! It was a narrow miss, but it rattled me enough that got lost and couldn't find my house! Thank goodness Kieran has a better sense of direction than mine!

This weekend is a huge religious holiday for Muslims. It is called Ramadan (not sure of the spelling) So we are taking advantage of the long weekend and are heading to Miri in Malaysia for the night. There are two other couples and their kids who are joining us. Miri is about an hour drive from us. The hotel is right on the beach and is meant to be beautiful. I'll be sure to post some pictures when we get back.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Still can't believe you are living WAY over there....keep the updates coming!