Monday, April 2, 2012

Bali - Day Six

Well after a couple of days nursing my injuries in my hotel room, it was time to make the most of our last day in Bali. After our taxi driver picked us up we headed to Pura Besakih, also known as the Mother Temple. This is Bali's most important temple and has 23 separate but related temples within it. Upon arrival we had to purchase sarongs for all of us in order to enter the temple. I must admit... this was my favorite part. There were hundreds of beautiful batik fabrics to choose from. With such a huge selection narrowing it down to 4 took quite some time. The boys were good sports and allowed me to choose for them.
In the above photos is the main temple. It is here where you see a huge table of offerings and people praying. I'm not very knowledgable about Hinduism, but our guide was telling us this is where they worship the trinity.
As we climbed further up the steps toward the top end of the temple the view was fantastic. Our guide as seen posing with the boys toured us throughout the vast area.
As we reached the top of the temples we took in the view. The temple, as with most sights in Bali was absolutely beautiful. For me it held no religious significance, but for the people of Bali this is a sort of pilgrimage for them. I believe at least once a year they make their way to this place of worship perched in the mountains.
After leaving the temple we stopped en route for a photo op. Please excuse the miserable look on my face. With a mouthful of stitches I was unable to show my delight. From this spot you could see the ocean and the amazing rice paddy fields. For our last bit of fun in Bali we again headed to Ubud for some more shopping. I could have brought home a whole 20 ft container with all the things you could buy. The carved wood and baskets alone were amazing. But their was such amazing art and batik paintings also. I would love to come back as this truly was a trip of a lifetime and one that I can now cross off my bucket list!

No comments: