Monday, April 2, 2012

Bali - Day Five

Today we woke up bright and early ready for an adventure. After speaking with our guides from our bike trip, they told us about a great place near our hotel for snorkelling. Apparently there was a Japanese wreck that was near the shore to see while snorkelling. So the night before we rented 2 scooters to take us on our journey to the dive sight.
Well, an adventure we had, but not the one planned. I took my scooter out for a bit of a "test drive" so I could get the feel of it. I must admit, I didn't feel confident on it. But I pressed on knowing what a day we had planned.
Hindsight - the ability to understand, after something has happened, what should have been done or what caused the event
Of course I know the definition of hindsight, but why do we so often ignore that voice in our head?
So as I made my way up the driveway from our hotel to the road with my pretty pink helmet sparkling in the sun... that still small voice was still ringing true.
There was a small lip that I had to ease my scooter over before I was officially "on the road" I'm still not sure if it was the small lip and I gave it too much gas, or the fact that I was now white knuckled with the throttle in what seemed like full speed ahead. But suddenly the bike was out of control and the inevitable happened. I hit a "parked pole" head on. So there I sat on the ground with the mangled bike at my side and my dear children rushing to pick me up.
I picked myself up and walked to the doctor praying that I still had my teeth. Funny how vanity still creeps in! So in broken English we managed to explain to the doctor what had happened. From there they started to stitch my mouth back together.
I can't tell you the fear that took over me. Had I broken my jaw or teeth? Was I going to be left with a huge scar on my face?
People talk about how life flashes before their eyes. One minute we were on our way for a fun filled day and seconds later mopping up blood on the side of the road.
I can only tell you I was lucky... or should I say blessed. As I sat in the stillness of my hotel room in the aftermath, I was overwhelmed with emotions.
There is a verse in the bible that immediately came to my mind.
Psalm 91:11 - For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.
There were so many pieces of that day that all melded together in thankfulness. I came away with a big cut on the inside of my mouth, when what could have happened makes me shudder.

While we were away enjoying our holiday I didn’t feel particularly close to God as I
have been. If fact, if I’m honest I was
quite distracted and didn’t give God all I should have. If I compared my actions to my earthly
relationships my relationship would have been lacking. However, in that split second when I crashed
head first into the pole, God was there.
He sheltered me and made the impact hit where the damage would be
minimal. He was close regardless to the
distance I had put between us. That
kind of love is what any girl dreams about, a prince who would come to their
rescue. A prince who would lay aside
everything in order to save the girl he loves.
So even though I am still nursing my injuries... I am thankful!

1 comment:

LeAnne said...

Oh I am so glad you are OK!
Loving the pics and stories....how I miss you :O)