Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas Traditions

With us being so far from our home, Christmas this year feels quite different and to be honest not Christmasy at all. So as I sit down to write this post my house is filled with the sweet smell of Ginger Snaps baking in the oven. The smell alone makes me think of Christmas! I guess this is a family recipe since I got it many years ago from my cousin Tracy. The Ginger Snaps are soft and chewy. They never seem to last long in our home! So here is the recipe...
:: Ginger Snaps ::
2 Cups of flour :: 1 Cup of sugar
3/4 cup of margarine :: 1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 tsp. ginger :: 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda :: 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 egg
( I usually double the recipe)
Combine all the dry ingredients. Mix molasses, egg, and butter together, then combine with the dry ingredients. Once all mixed, place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. I usually mix this the night before and save the rolling of the balls to do with the boys the following day.

Once chilled form the balls the size of a walnut. I use a great tool by Pampered Chef. I think it is called the medium scoop?? Roll the balls in regular white sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass. Place in a 375 degree oven for 7 to 9 minutes. It is better to under cook these.

Leave the cookies on the tray for a couple of minutes prior to removing to cool. The doubled recipe should make about 40 large cookies.

Voila!! A full cookie jar, but not for long....

1 comment:

FTD said...

...we may share the recipe - but mine never tasted as good as yours! You and my mom and tied for making the best ones - I have enjoyed a number of my mom's recently :)
I think this is only my second comment on here - but know that I check your posts and think of you often!
Miss you!